We Support Fair Tips!
We won at Pizza Express! After Unite turned up the heat with a summer of campaigning the popular pizza chain announced (3 September 2015) that it would drop the 8% admin fee from tips left on a card. Giraffe, Ask, Zizzi, Byron Burger and most recently the Casual Dining Group, owners of Bella Italia, Belgo and Cafe Rouge have all said they too will scrap the fee and hand 100% of tips to staff.
But with restaurants like Wahaca, and Jamie’s Italian under fire for deducting a percentage of sales from credit card tips, Prezzo and Strada still swiping a slice as an admin fee and Bill’s restaurant accused of pocketing a large proportion of the service charge, it is clear that we’ve still got some way to go in the fight for fair tips.
Now we need the government to stamp out these rip off practices once and for all. We’ve set down an early day motion in parliament for MPs to get behind.
What you can do to help
You see the problem is that tips paid on a credit card and service charges are the property of the employer. As they own them they can do what they like with them. So until staff are given 100% ownership rights over their hard earned tips with complete control over how they are shared out, rogue employers will continue to cream off staff tips.
- Please tip in cash – leaving cash means the whole amount will go to the staff (divided between waiters and kitchen staff).
- Confused by the service charge? Then ask for this to be removed & leave it in cash instead
- Share your story – Fed up of your employer taking a slice of your hard-earned tips? Tell us about it.
- Work in the hospitality sector? Then we want to hear from you. Contact us. Get organised with Unite on your side
- Follow Unite’s hospitality branch on Facebook and Twitter using #FairTips
- Not in a union? The join Unite – Your union. You voice
Visit the campaign page and view the Fair Tips film here.