The impact of the sanctions vary: in the most extreme cases a person can lose their benefits for three years. As Jobcentre front line staff are being pressured to sanction more and more people we reveal some of the most insane reasons given to people that has resulted in them having their benefits stopped here. We look at the most ridiculous reasons for sanctioning benefits yet.
- “ARMY VETERAN STEPHEN TAYLOR, 60, WHOSE JOBSEEKER’S ALLOWANCE (JSA) WAS STOPPED AFTER HE SOLD POPPIES IN MEMORY OF FALLEN SOLDIERS”.
Details link: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/war-hero-stephen-taylors-benefits-2895202
- “A MAN HAD TO MISS HIS REGULAR APPOINTMENT AT THE JOB CENTRE TO ATTEND HIS FATHER’S FUNERAL. HE WAS SANCTIONED EVEN THOUGH HE TOLD DWP STAFF IN ADVANCE”.
Details Link: http://politicalscrapbook.net/2014/02/jobseeker-had-benefits-cut-for-attending-his-fathers-funeral/
- “CERI PADLEY, 26, HAD HER BENEFITS SANCTIONED AFTER SHE MISSED AN APPOINTMENT AT THE JOBCENTRE – BECAUSE SHE WAS AT A JOB INTERVIEW”.
Details Link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2347281/Unemployed-graduate-benefits-stopped-missing-job-centre-appointment-INTERVIEW.html
- “A MAN GOT SANCTIONED FOR MISSING HIS SLOT TO SIGN ON – AS HE WAS ATTENDING A WORK PROGRAMME INTERVIEW. HE WAS THEN SANCTIONED AS HE COULD NOT AFFORD TO TRAVEL FOR HIS JOB SEARCH”.
Details Link: https://twitter.com/RTCAB/status/278572512114249728
- “MOTHER-OF-THREE ANGIE GODWIN, 27, SAID HER BENEFITS WERE SANCTIONED AFTER SHE APPLIED FOR A ROLE JOB CENTRE STAFF SAID WAS BEYOND HER”.
Detail Link: http://www.getreading.co.uk/news/local-news/unemployed-mums-despair-after-jobseeker-5912618
For a detail view on the most senseless sanctions decisions made please visit the following link: http://i100.independent.co.uk/article/the-11-most-senseless-benefit-sanction-decisions-known-to-man–x1dmkd2_Me
Unite Community have been involved in the campaign against sanctions that is pushing thousands of people into poverty, debt and reliance on food banks. We also think it is no coincidence that as we see these savage attacks on our Welfare state we also see the rise in casual work and zero hours contracts in short workers are being forced into precarious jobs creating a cycle of unsecured work, low pay and a reliance on charitable donations is this what Mr Cameron meant by our Big Society?………………!
Check out the website of former DWP staff helping helpless and poor societies against the austerity http://jobseekersanctionadvice.com/
Check out the Barnsley Unite Community Blog Here http://barnsleycsc.com/
And the Unite / PCS Sanctions advice here http://www.unitetheunion.org/uploaded/documents/CommunitySanctionsGuide11-18024.pdf