The South Yorkshire Unite Community Branch is now one year old and we have grown to have over two hundred members, we are proud to say that we have achieved a great deal in such a short space of time. We have:
- Helped organise meetings, protests, lobbies, sleep outs and appeals against the hated Bedroom Tax.
- Taken part in in organising the People’s Assembly.
- Taken to the streets to oppose the English Defence League.
- Opened our First Unite Community Centre, staffed by our members who have helped overturn Unfair Atos Decisions, Won Appeal’s against the Bedroom Tax, Helped with ESA Claims and Industrial Injury Claims. Please check out our website here http://barnsleycsc.wordpress.com/
- Supported local Food Banks.
- Campaigned against Debt and Loan Sharks.
- Supported Industrial Members who have taken Industrial action with Workplace Collections, Picketing and helped with our Leverage Strategy.
- Linked with other Campaign Groups including UKuncut and the Orgeave Truth and Justice Campaign.
- Provided Transport for National Demonstrations against Tuition Fee’s, Demonstrations against Fascism and took part in the massive demonstration to save our NHS along with 200 other Unite Community Members from our Region.
- Put on two showings of the Red Ladder play Wrong ‘Un.
- Taken part in meetings and Debates with other organisations including “The Legacy of Thatcher”
- Helped Organise the Huge demonstration on the 5th of November against Atos.
- Organised Unite Community Training for our members including
1. Welfare Rights Training
2. Activist Training
3. Public Speaking
4. Graphic Design
5. New Media and Blogging
We think the time is now right to call our first Annual General Meeting to assess the work already done and plan the year ahead we would also like to re-elect the following positions.
· Branch secretary
· Branch chair
· Branch treasurer
· Branch Equality officer
· Branch education officer
· Members to sit on the Area Activist Committee
· Members to be delegates to local Trades Councils
Free Buffet and drinks (open to all) only branch members can vote so please bring union card).
Liane Groves (Unite Community Coordinators Team Leader)
Barbara Jackson (Unite Community / Head of the Orgreave Truth and Justice Campaign)
Martin Mayer (President of Sheffield Trades Council and UNITE Executive Council member for Passenger Transport)
Bakers Union Speaker to speak on the Campaign against Zero Hours
Wednesday the 12 of February at 7 pm Sheffield Central United Reform Church see attached Map